We expect parents to send their children to school in clothing which is practical and comfortable. We feel, as do most parents, that the children benefit from wearing a uniform. This gives a sense of unity and of belonging to the school. We therefore ask for the following items of clothing.
School uniforms are available from Gray Palmer or Tesco uniform online.
Should you ever need any uniform you can always email email@example.com and they can help you with pre-loved uniform. We are looking for more donations of uniform – especially for older children or PE kits.
White polo shirts with Katherine Semar logo
Navy round neck or V neck sweatshirts or cardigan with logo
Grey trousers, grey skirt or grey pinafore dress
Grey shorts or blue gingham check school dress (summer uniform) – Please note that the gingham dress is not available from Tesco.
White, grey or black socks or grey tights
Black school shoes.
PE kit - INFANT & junior school
Infants and Juniors have the same PE kits. Children should wear their PE kit on days when they have PE or squads/clubs.
This is what children are permitted to wear for PE lessons (and clubs/squads):
For warm weather:
- The navy short-sleeved Katherine Semar polo top with logo (available from Grey Palmer) or
- the plain navy polo shirt with logo (available on myclothing) or
- a plain navy polo shirt (with collar).
- The navy Katherine Semar shorts or skort (available from Grey Palmer) or
- plain navy shorts or skort.
For cold weather:
- The navy long-sleeved Katherine Semar sports shirt with logo (available from Grey Palmer).
- the above shirt, navy school jumper or cardigan can be worn over one of the short-sleeved tops (see above) too.
- Plain navy or black jogging bottoms (no stripes or logos).
- Children may wear a base layer under their PE top or shorts. These need to be black, white or blue.
- Hoodies are not permitted (apart from Year 6 ‘Norfolk Lakes’ hoodies
- Dark coloured trainers and a pair of navy Katherine Semar socks (available from Grey Palmer), white, black or navy blue socks specifically for PE. Children may not wear tights with their PE kit. Brightly coloured trainers are not permitted.
Hair must be tied back and no jewellery to be worn. Adults cannot remove earrings for children—they must remove them themselves or take them out before attending school. Tape for earrings is not permitted.
Your child will have a swimming slot every half term. Information and a letter will be sent out at the end of the half term before they swim to provide you with all of the necessary information including; timings and payment details.
The days your child is swimming they will need to bring a named swimming bag including the following:
A named swimming suit / named swimming trunks, (not loose swimming shorts).
A named swimming hat (a Katherine Semar swimming hat can be purchased from Gray Palmers.
A named towel.
Children who are not swimming due to a lack of kit will still go to the swimming pool with work to complete.
Other logo items available from Gray Palmer
Legionnaire sun hat
Swim costumes and swim trunks
When choosing where to get your child’s hair styled, please do consider that we follow the same haircut rules as Saffron Walden County High School.
- Students may not dye their hair an unnatural hair colour and highlights/streaks and dip dyed ends are not allowed. Hairstyles judged to be extreme by the Headteacher or Senior Leadership team are not permitted.
- No students may have their hair cut shorter than a barbers’ number 2.
- Hair must be tied back if it is shoulder length or longer, with a plain coloured hairband.
- Hairbands must be plain and a colour that complements the school uniform, such as navy, black, white or grey. All novelty hairbands, such as cat ears, flowers and large bows are not permitted.
- Children with novelty hairbands will be asked that they remove them and not wear them again. Students breaking the hairstyle regulations with extreme cuts may be educated away from their class until their hair grows back or becomes a natural colour again.
We understand that pierced ears need earrings to avoid the holes closing up. So, to this end, children are allowed to wear plain stud earrings. They should not wear earrings if they are unable to remove them themselves for PE.
- Wristwatches may be worn in the Junior School at the child’s own risk, but children need to be able to remove and replace independently. Watches which have cameras and microphones are not permitted.
- Charity wrist bands if the school is promoting the cause.
Fortunately, it is rare that a child arrives at school wearing make-up. When this does occur, it is generally nail varnish that hasn’t been removed from the weekend. Please be reminded that no make-up may be worn.
If your child is wearing make-up, including nail varnish, they will be sent to the school office where they will be given the means to remove it.
Gray Palmers have a website which enables you to purchase school uniform over the website, which is:
Our school uniform is also available from www.myclothing.com. Please click on the documents below for more information, or click here -https://myclothing.com/collections/katherine-semar-schools